Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Almost injured by soup

Yeah, that's right...soup. So last night I pulled out a soup recipe I'd made once a few months ago and thought it'd be an easy dinner...it was a chipotle', chicken thing with some great spices, potatoes, etc. Did I read past the ingredient list to assess the process? Of course not. As I started, I realized that the project would take longer and was more complicated than I remembered...various steps of broth prep, chicken boiling and shredding, off the heat, back on the heat...and an intermediate process where you have to take what's done so far and, in thirds, put it in the blender (the number of large pans by this point is at least 3 and we're barely halfway done), then back on the stove, add more stuff, simmer, etc. (sidebar: this is why people eat canned soup, yes, I know). So the first third, no probem...blend, into 2nd pan, repeat. The second batch, however, caused a bit of a hot, steaming, spicy eruption and I swear the goddam blender was aiming right for my left eye. It hit the mark with a nice sting from the chipotle pepper and adobo...and my sweatshirt was pretty well covered in soup debris...and the kitchen floor yelled for the Swiffer. Amazingly enough, Seujan, who was safely across the kitchen patiently enjoying a glass of wine, didn't even laugh at me and came to my rescue. I ended up somehow locking up the blender which we never fixed, but the soup was salvaged (don't worry, I didn't squeeze it out of my sweatshirt, I already had enough from the first round)...and it was damn good if I say so myself. Fortunately, there are even leftovers to continue savoring the experience. Other obstacles yesterday included there being no hot water at the gym, resulting in an arctic splash after spin class rather than a real shower. Thus, by the end of the day, I was probably a little sticky around the edges from residual unshowered spin class sweat complemented by soup debris. Happy Monday.

Despite the trials of my Monday, I did have 2 good workouts (swim and spin) and this morning I had a strong interval run...cold, DRY morning (whoo-hoo!).

11 min warm up
2 x 1200: 5:38, 5:33
1 x 1600: 7:25!!
18 min aerobic/cool down run

No comments: