Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Hearty Seattle Puddle Stompers

As far as I'm concerned, there are 4 adverse running conditions (rain, cold, wind, darkness), and when any 3 of them happen simultaneously, a trifecta occurs whereby I won't play outside (or I pout and it's not pretty). This morning when I woke up, only 2 were present (rain and dark), so I went to Greenlake to do intervals. The track was a sloppy mess, but I splashed out the prescribed 5 x 800 and by the second one there was enough daylight to not only hear and feel the puddles, but also to see them...and my watch, too. When I got done, I decided to run a longer recovery since it was warm and I had the time, so I ran about 1.75 miles on the inner paved loop of the lake. Along the way, I realized that less than a trifecta might be the same criteria other Seattle residents use to determine whether to cancel their morning consitutionals, too. I saw a lot of people...walking dogs, running, walking with their coffee, chatting...most without umbrellas and in the pouring rain. And they didn't even look that grumpy. OK, there weren't as many out as there are on sunny days, but it still made me feel proud to be part of such a hearty and active city (or maybe it just gave me a feeling of solidarity with other wackos). My "dryfit" shirt was soaked when I was done and I needed a wet wipe to clean off my legs BEFORE I could event get into the shower, but it was a very successful workout, with my fastest 800 being the last:

Warm up: 11 minutes
5 x 800: 3:45, 3:42, 3:42, 3:41, 3:40
Cool down: 18 minutes

I also got in a 2800m swim at lunch today...pool at S.U. has been jacked up due to a broken filter, so I've had to swim on my own a bit.

Missed a few days on the blog, too:

Sunday, Nov. 5: 30 mile easy recovery bike ride...avg. HR 116 or so and 2 social chat breaks...nice.

Monday, Nov. 6: Morning Cardio smorgasbord (35 minutes of an awful spin class so I bailed + 10 minutes treadmill + 10 minutes elliptical). Lifted at lunchtime.

No comments: