Saturday, November 11, 2006

Longest run of my life...

I know, I say that almost every week...but it really is true. Today was long run day and I did 14 miles...ran from Madison Beach to Seward Park and back. No rain, some sun breaks, and a tail wind on the 2nd half...not bad at all for Seattle in November. As I was approaching Seward Park, I realized that my halfway/turn-around point was the same distance that I would've considered to be a complete "long run" just a few months ago. It's kind of fun to be building and hitting consistently longer distances. Of course, I now feel like I've been hit by a truck and will return to the couch soon with some Advil, but the run (ok, finishing the run) felt good! I also caved this week and bought an easy-to-carry amphipod water bottle...tried it out today and actually liked it, although I had a little bit of a knot in my shoulder when I was done running.

I have learned that I can eat about an hour and a half before a long run (bagel or equivalent) and it's fine...now that I've tested this a few times, I feel more confident about the pre-race food part of my race plan. I've also learned that I really do need to take one rest day per week...last weekend I did a recovery bike ride on Sunday and never totally rested...legs felt a little heavy by today, even though yesterday was a swim-only. I only did about 10 hours of training this week, but running is hard on a 40 year old body...the good news is that even with the fewer hours, I'm not gaining weight (knock on carbon fiber) and I'm still eating my normal amount (i.e. LOTS!).

Gritty details:
14 miles, 2:20:21
Avg. HR = 148 (too high, but the first 25 minutes the monitor was crazy high and I think it skewed things a little).
Nutrition: Drank about 15 oz. of water, had 2 Clif Shot Blocks, starting 1:20 in.
Felt good, but didn't rally for a fast mile in the middle or at the end...was a little anxious about just finishing that distance.

Haven't blogged since Wednesday...Thursday was Tempo run and lifting, yesterday was a swim-only day. I'll post the week's spreadsheet tomorrow when Seujan (queen of tech support) shows me how to do it :)

No comments: