Saturday, May 05, 2007

All's well that ends well

Today's training assignment was a brick = 85 mile bike + 2 mile run. Today was also the last Tour de Cure training ride so I had to mix the personal and the professional. Ed from Cycle U. and I led the group and we had about 15 riders who met at 10:00 at the Redmond Chipotle...2 people went out on the trail and the rest decided to go around Lake Sammamish, with one group breaking off for a 25 miler and the rest of us going on to May Valley Rd. and up/over Tiger Mtn. for 45. I remembered on this ride that I don't really prefer group rides. Although we had a pretty well-paced group, there was the usual overly frequent re-grouping, a few spurts where I felt like there were 10 people up my back wheel who wouldn't pass because they didn't know or read the route, and then one guy got a flat at mile 32 (and had trouble changing it the first time, then broke the valve on the tube, didn't have another one, and I gave him one of mine...while sending Seujan a text message saying that "this will be an infinite day..."). Although the actual pace was pretty good, we left late and it took about 4 hours to ride 45 miles. The last 10 miles of that first loop I was thinking about where I should ride the rest of my miles and my enthusiasm waned...The idea of just ending with the group (it was after 2:00 p.m.), having the free burrito, and calling it good was very tempting. HOWEVER, I knew I'd be mad at myself if I bailed, I figured this was an opportunity for mental toughness, and I also knew that Seujan was out there somewhere doing the assignment. So I quickly re-fueled and went another loop of 35, a do-over of the first one without the Tiger Mtn. part. The solo ride was pretty good and the run was fine...I ended up with 80 miles on the bike (close enough to 85, yes??). It was a llllooonnnnggg day, but I feel good about getting it all done (albeit with slightly lower customer service than I could have exhibited on the group ride part....).

The best thing was that I went into Chipotle over 2 hours later than the group and not only did I get a burrito free to bring home for dinner, they gave me another one for Seujan and I chatted with the Mgr. who is psyched to do the food for the Tour de Cure again this year.... Chipotle is the best food sponsor EVER!! I'm a brand loyal person and Chipotle is tops on my loyalty list.

Stopped at the liquor store on my way home for Tequila...Cinco de Mayo margaritas and burritos were total heaven after a long shower!! I'm now happily immobilized on the couch.

Stats on the day:

80.2 mile ride
4:58:38 (actual pedal time)
Avg pace: 16.1

Run
19:55 (out 10 minutes, barely negative split)

Total:
5:18:33
Avg HR = 124

REST DAY TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: