Sunday, May 20, 2007

Tour de thrashed

It appears I haven't blogged in a week...there really wasn't any time since it was the week of the Tour de Cure and a LOT more work hours and fewer sleeping hours than usual (most of those were spent dreaming about work anyway, augh). I did get in about 10 hours of training and stayed with most of the schedule, but didn't have time to talk about it much. With some stellar support, awesome volunteers, and months of good planning, we pulled off a damn good event. The weather goddess didn't exactly smile a full-on grin on us, but she wasn't completely surly...it was crappy in the morning and full-on raining when the century riders went out at 7:00, but it improved as the morning went on. By the end of the afternoon, it was sunny and the beer garden raked in an extra $500...people hung out to listen to the band and it was a pretty cool scene. The wind was brutal all day and I was secretly happy to have ridden all the courses on good weather days of choice over the months I was developing them instead of yesterday...although I was more exhausted at the end of the day than I think I ever have been after a bike ride (RAMROD included). There were some fires to put out over the set-up and event day (running around the course to move a misplaced sign indicating a rest stop where there wasn't one, locating and moving a lost volunteer who scared the crap out of me saying he thought part of the course was marked backwards and--thank god--was wrong, putting up signs that were blowing over all day long, the generator running out of gas silencing the band and emcee for about half an hour, several spats escalating into full-on fights among the staff, hiring a last minute security guard to watch my beer on site overnight friday when a volunteer backed out), but no fires remained burning at the end and we got a lot of compliments on the ride, the new routes, and the whole thing. Today I'm pretty out of it and just thrashed...no energy for planning anything. I'm quite happy with how it went, though, and I think I kicked some major ass on this event. My mom & stepdad are in town and put in some major volunteer hours over the last 2 days and Seujan rode the 45 miler with Jeff (despite the fact that she's had the flu and has been totally levelled for about 3 days). I had great family support which included cheeseburgers on the grill and a beer when I finally fell through the door at the end of the day.

Although yesterday was a good 15 hours of movement and generated some sore muscles (the first 40 lb. pound of ice I lifted at 4:30 in the morning woke my back right up...ow), it sort of counted as a rest day in regards to Ironman training, so today's assignment was a a 45 mile ride/3 mile run brick. The weather looked crappy this morning and I just couldn't deal with it, so I did 2 hours on the trainer and a 30 minute run in the rain. Now I have no interest in doing much of anything that would involve getting off the couch. I have a bit of a scratchy throat and am using Zicam and Airborne in an attempt to not get the damn bug SJ has...I think it's time for a nap and some trash TV.

Tomorrow I will meet with my coach to get the next set of marching orders...

Today's brick:

2 hours on the trainer
Avg HR = 127

30 min run
Avg HR = 139

No comments: