Friday, May 25, 2007

Not exactly a walk in the park...

But there were some walks in the park. I took today off work to get a 4-day weekend and to do my long run...up to 15 miles now. I decided to follow the coach's instructions and start teaching my body to do the run/walk thing from the very beginning of my long runs...the plan was 9 minutes run/1 minute walk and I actually followed it pretty well and, I must admit, I kind of liked it. It's definitely easier to start running after a walk when it starts sooner than an hour into things (I know, I know, sometimes you have to hit me over the head with a baseball bat for me to listen to solid advice). However, my former stubborn "I don't want to walk" attitude seemed to morph into "well, if I'm going to walk, I better make up for it when I run..." and my HR was a lot higher than it was supposed to be. I swear, I knew I was doing it and wasn't supposed to, but couldn't help myself. Thus, the LSD run sort of turned into a bit of a fartlek situation. The fact that I also loafed on my bike ride yesterday may have also guilt-catalysed the overkill on the run today. It's all such a head game!

Anyway...I'm calling it progress because I DID walk as instructed and, especially by the end, I was very much looking forward to those little walks. It was nice to enjoy the scenery a little more and do some shoulder rolls to stretch things out. I also taped one of my hips which I'd forgotten to do on my last few long runs and it seemed to help for a while...but the tin man is back as usual now and the ice will be necessary here in a while.

I parked at Madrona and hopped in the lake for a while afterwards to cool my legs down which was great. I haven't gotten on the ice-bath-post-run bandwagon yet, so this was a good replacement. It was cold, but not bad at all. I think it's swimmin' time in the lake very very soon!

Run summary:

15 miles
2:27:08
Avg HR = 148
max HR = 167 (oops)

No comments: