Saturday, May 26, 2007

Base/build butt-kicking

Today was another good, healthy butt-kicking. Nothing says "holiday weekend" and "recover from a 15-mile run" like a brick with 2 time trials included. This is why I pay a coach...if it wasn't on paper and I had to send myself out there and make this shit up, it probably wouldn't happen in the same doses as prescribed by the pretty color-coded spreadsheet tacked to my wall. It didn't sound so big and bad, just a 50 mile ride with 2x 5-mile time trials and a 2 mile run at the end...and I DID do it, so I guess it wasn't cruel and unusual.

Seujan and I parked by our friends' house near MOHAI and rode down to Lake WA blvd. (which is where I swear we should just pitch a tent in the summer to save gas and time...been there to train 3 days in a row). She's still coughing a bit and slowly recovering from the worst cold in history, so she was excused from the speedwork and rode on ahead of me around the south end of the lake. My legs are pretty trashed from yesterday (legs and I discussed using the big chain ring from time to time and continually decided against it), so I figured I should do the 2 time trials toward the beginning of the ride in case I had nothing left at the end...good decision as I would've been dreading it the whole time otherwise. I had "permission" to walk the run part of the brick, but I butched up and ran it. Since I was right by the arboretum, at least it was a pretty setting in which to suffer...love those trails. This was the most tired my legs have been for a brick so far this year, no question. But it's good to operate on tired legs and I just thought about how the Ironman might feel more like today's workout than like the last few easier bricks, so I need to get used to it...and I visualized the announcer guy at the finish line saying, "Ruth Frobe from Seattle Washington, you're an IRONMAN," remembered tomorrow is a rest day, and stumbled on through the arboretum. I was totally smelling the barn at the end and negative split the run by 9 seconds, although I certainly didn't feel stronger at the end than at the beginning. Came home, ate lunch, iced my hip (it's a little pissed from yesterday), passed out on the couch, and feel pretty good now. My parents are still in town and we're all going out for dinner and to see "West Side Story" tonight...sitting in a theater, not moving, and being entertained sounds perfect!

Summary:

Bike:
5 mile warm up
5 mile TT: 14:40, Avg. HR = 149
5ish miles recovery
5 mile TT: 14:55, Avg. HR = 147
27 miles moderate
Total distance: 47.8 miles
Total time: 2:59:19
Avg. pace = 16.0 mph

Run:
10 minutes out, 9:51 back = 19:51
Avg HR = 143

No comments: