Sunday, May 13, 2007

Don't believe what you read

Damn technology. Seujan and I ran the Kirkland Half Marathon today...somehow the chip timing thing didn't work and my chip didn't register...and neither did Seujan's name. However, my name was associated with her chip and I have now received credit on their results website for Seujan's results. Unfortunately, she ran a minute per mile faster than I did...thus, I am listed as being 13 minutes faster than I actually was and she is nowhere to be found. We probably should've run the Tacoma Half today instead of Kirkland. We waffled, but went with the closer race which ended up starting late (we were freezing!) and had less than great scenery and shirts. Oh, well...it was a great workout and I'm still proud of a good, strong effort for both of us.

I didn't really do a race plan for this one. After working on more stuff for the Tour de Cure yesterday and dreaming about work the last few nights (enough bananas at the rest stops? schedule for the trucks to drop things off? etc., etc.), I was excited to just go to an event for which I had no responsibility and do a long run. I was pretty well tapered running-wise, but I did bike 200 miles in the last week, and with everything going on with work, I just wasn't in the mental space to "race" this one. My goal was to start out slow for the first 2 miles or so and then just go with RPE, push it without killing myself, and see how things went. I also didn't have my long run nutrition shake on the last 2 half marathons, so I felt more confident about this one since I now have that aspect a little more dialed in.

I looked at my HR once early in the race and it was a bit high, so I decided not to look at it again and to just go with RRE and mile splits. That was a good decision...as much as I love my gadgets (esp. the new Garmin 305!), it's good to just listen to my body sometimes, I think.

Anyway...the course was interesting in a hilly sort of way and I was glad I'd looked at the map and knew where to expect them. Miles 8 and 9 were the fastest as they were totally downhill.

The Garmin mostly agreed with the mile markers, but not entirely (again, I say, Damn technology)...I hit my lap button on the watch at every mile marker and here's the summary and discrepencies:

Mile 1 (.99) : 9:58
Mile 2 (1.0) : 9:28
Mile 3 (1.02) : 9:56
Mile 4 (1.01): 10:06
Mile 5 (.97): 9:30
Mile 6 (1.0): 9:49
Mile 7 (1.01): 9:44
Mile 8 (1.0): 8:59
Mile 9 (1.0): 9:01
Mile 10 (.85?): 7:52
Mile 11 (1.0): 9:48
Mile 12 (.97): 9:36
Mile 13 - End (1.24): 10:35

Total: 13.04 (Acc. to Garmin)
2:04:13
Avg HR = 150
Avg speed: 9:31/mile

No comments: