Sunday, April 15, 2007

Betty Crocker, eat my dust

My favorite quote (other than, "Put on a jacket, I'm cold") from my mom's words of wisdom is, "If you can read, you can cook." I'm not one of those culinary wizards who can look at 4 random ingredients and make a magnificent souffle', but I must say I'm a damn good recipe follower with skills honed as a longtime loyal subscriber of "Cooking Light" magazine. Usually I do a recipe fairly proud and things taste good, but it often happens that, despite my literacy, things don't look like they do in the magazine photos. Today, however, I think I could've earned a spot in a test kitchen with this one:

Seujan never got a cake for her birthday (kinda tough to pull off in New Zealand) and we never really celebrated the birthdays of 2 friends of ours, Michele & Cathie, in February, either...and now mine's on the horizon. We're going to Michele's tonight for pizza and the last 2 taped episodes of the "L Word"--we regularly freeload their cable subscription-- so it's birthday catch-up time and I had the excuse to make my first angel food cake. Who knew it took a dozen egg whites for one angel food cake??

Anyway...today was domestic engineer day for me with grocery shopping, laundry, and the cake...while Seujan went to work with her tools and destroyed and re-assembled her new cubicle. We're wiped and bagging the Triathlon Expo to rest up until our pizza date with Michele & Cathie.

No comments: