Monday, April 23, 2007

Happy Birthday to ME!

Today is my 41st birthday...so far, I don't feel much older and it doesn't appear that dementia has set in...and hopefully, there will be nothing from the AARP in the mailbox today.

This week's training plan from the coach features NO speedwork. I'm not sure if it's a birthday gift, pity, or an actual strategic plan, but I'm happily accepting the plan regardless of its intention. Started out the day with a run...we woke up early without the alarm, so Seujan had time to run with me before work. We both felt yesterday's bike ride in our legs, but it was a really pretty morning and a good sunrise, so it was fun to be out.

Yesterday, we did the Daffodil Classic ride in Orting with our friend, Dave. We were supposed to do a full century, but...we didn't. We had a great ride around the 62 mile loop and somewhere along the way, our enthusiasm for doing the other 40 mile loop afterwards faded. At the second rest stop I still had my head firmly wrapped around the century idea and my legs were feeling pretty good. I was ready to lead the charge and do the 100. However, by mile 50....when it started raining and my legs piped up with a "maybe 62 will be just fine today" message, I told Seujan I was no longer leading the charge...neither was she. So we decided to end after the first loop when we still felt good and enjoyed the ride rather than beating the crap out of ourselves. I know, a rare flash of rational decision making.

We got back home at a reasonable time, cleaned up the bikes, and Seujan took me out for a really great birthday-eve sushi dinner...great day!

Ride summary:
62 miles
4:06:25
Avg. pace 15.1
Avg. HR = 117
2,477 ft. of climbing

No comments: