Wednesday, April 25, 2007

First long run at 41

It's hard work thinking up blog entry titles...today's cheesy title popped in my head during the long run today, along with lots of other things, all of which I've pretty much forgotten at this point, except, of course, the visualization of the crossing the Ironman Finish Line that I think about regularly...

I took today off as a birthday/mental health day...I did my 14 mile run after actually having breakfast which I haven't had the luxury of doing in quite a while. Although I've discovered that I can pull off a 13 miler right out of bed with the super Hammer energy shake, I definitely felt a bit more of a boost today, about 2 hours after a big bagel and 2 cups of coffee. Ran along Lake Washington Blvd., around Seward Park, and back. I ran 14 and then did a bonus mile to practice the run/walk routine; alternated 1 minute walk/1 minute run about 12 times to finish the 15th mile. The usual 41-year old body parts are starting to stiffen up and hurt now, but the run felt fine. I was smelling the barn on the 2nd half and kept noticing that my HR was a bit high, but I felt OK, so I didn't worry too much about it.

As a continuation of the self-spoiling birthday week, I got an overdue haircut and am going soon for a massage...I've decided to rationalize a monthly massage for recovery and reward up until the Ironman...a little over indulgent, probably, and expensive, certainly, but it certainly works for motivation. And I swear I read in Triathlete magazine that it's a good idea for recovery (or wait, was that a blog entry that I wrote myself? No, honestly I read it somewhere!)

Run summary:

14 miles
2:18:27
Avg HR = 140
Extra mile of 1:00 walk/1:00run:
11:50

Total time for 15 miles: 2:30:17

No comments: