Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wednesday long run

Did my long run early this morning. I'm supposed to begin inserting a minute of walking every few minutes during my long runs to get my body (ok, really my brain) used to the idea. I've been a little (OK, a lot) resistant to the plan as it's hard to wrap my head around the concept that walking isn't slacking/bailing out and not only for the reward at the END. It's also already hard for me to learn the patience required for long runs and walking seems like a way to make something already really freakin' long even longer...not appealing. However, I do realize that there's no way in hell that I'll be running the entire marathon part of the Ironman (will be lucky to run half of it, probably), so I have to buck up...or, I guess, buck down, and try this walking thing. Plus, with various body parts complaining, walking might be a nice gesture to prevent them from falling apart. That being said, I tested out the walk deal, but I cheated. The plan was to walk a minute every 15 minutes, but I didn't start until an hour into the run...it just seemed wierd to walk after only for 15-30 minutes. But I did 4 of the 1 minute walks every 15 minutes starting at the one hour mark. It was probably good because I was running a little higher of a heartrate than intended and it brought me back down. By the end of the run, both hips and my right butt/glute/hamstring were all getting verbal and I was quite happy to be done...the complaining was worst when I started running again after the last minute of walking.

Summary:
12.1 mile run
2:02:03
Avg. HR = 136

No comments: