Monday, February 18, 2008

Carbon footprint confessions

I spent a lot of the President's Day holiday today running and biking...and, as a resident of environmental central Seattle, I feel the need to confess that I drove my car to do both. I wanted a change of scenery and had the whole day to kill, so I figured what the hell...

I have really been missing Greenlake since I've moved...I realized the other day that it's been more than 6 years since I've lived more than a mile from Greenlake, and I've been craving a run there. I woke up early and drove over to do my sort-of tempo run. The new training plan has me easing the hip back into the harder speed stuff, and today was a 4 mile run with 3x 5 minutes tempo pace. It was cold and clear (had to scrape the windshield to commit my first carbon footprint sin of the day) and the sunrise sky was really great as it got light at Greenlake. I parked by Starbucks and did a warm up to the track, did the first tempo there, then continued around the lake...good strong run and my tempo "chunks" were at a pretty good pace. I kept it at only 4 miles instead of cheating up like usual because a bike ride was also on the agenda today.
After the run, I hung out with my coffee for a while, did some housecleaning around the shoebox, and waited for the temperature to warm up, then got all my bike stuff together and drove out to Marymoor. I wasn't sure how much cycling energy would be in the tank today, so I figured I'd start around Lake Sammamish with options to May Valley and more miles over Tiger Mountain if I felt good. It's really interesting how you never really know how a workout is going to feel...on Saturday, I had my head wrapped around the idea of a 60ish mile ride and completely saw it happening...however, my legs and my tire were deflated and my attitude followed quickly...and it was a really tough long ride. Today, my attitude was a little less determined (plus, yesterday was not exactly a nutritionally stellar day and included a few beers and fun last night with my new pals, Megan and Brenda at our new favorite watering hole...great for morale, wasn't sure it'd be good for training), but my bike and my legs felt so good that my head easily followed along. I'd put my Ironman tires on my freshly clean bike after Saturday and it zoomed out of the park...and for whatever reason, I felt great. Every 10 miles or so, I kept wondering if/when my legs would start falling apart, but they never did....I added rte. 900 to May Valley, went over Tiger Mountain, and back to Marymoor feeling strong all day (and at a faster pace than usual!) Not sure where it came from--probably the sun as that always affects me (it was 56 degrees when I got done)--or the good company last night---whatever it was, I'll take it!

When I got home, Erin sent me this hilarious blog link on IM called Stuff White People Like . I read today's entry and laughed out loud because it hit close to home and, well, sometimes one must laugh at oneself...no wonder it got 50 comments.

OK, back to the facts:

4 mile run:

10 min warm up
5 min tempo (.65 mile) Avg HR = 155
2 min moderate
5 min tempo (.65 mile) Avg HR = 150
2 min moderate
5 min tempo (.66 mile) Avg HR = 154
4:30 moderate
Total: 33:36
Avg HR = 149
Max HR = 166

45 mile bike:
2:50
Avg HR = 120
Max HR = 157
Avg pace = 15.8 mph

No comments: