Saturday, February 23, 2008

A feast of vitamin D!

This cannot be February in Seattle!! It's yet another sunny perfect cycling day...I take back every insensitive comment I made about that little groundhog a few weeks ago!

I slept in till about 7:00 today and woke up to daylight and another great sunrise view of Mt. Rainier from the Shoebox. Before I finished my coffee, my bike was almost twitching on the rack and I called Cara and bailed out of the XC skiing option...I'm sure it was gorgeous up in the mountains, too, but it was just too nice to pass up a riding opportunity. My bike and I discussed where to go (when an extrovert lives alone, conversations with inanimate objects are common) and decided that another trip out to the east side sounded the most fun. I drove out to Marymoor and got on my bike by about 10:00...it was already 51 degrees and I ditched my jacket early and was glad I wore the 3/4 tights and not the full ones. I rode the Flying Wheels 45 mile route which meant some tough hills (like stupid Inglewood Hill Rd. with less than 15 minutes warm up...and Issaquah-Fall City Rd. later). This route also includes one of my favorite stretches of road to go aero and cruise, Ames Lake going toward Carnation...as they say in the Mazda ad, "Zoom-zoom!" Way fun.

My legs were a bit tired throughout (I did lunges and plyometrics yesterday afternoon and an unscheduled walk around Greenlake afterwards), but I felt pretty good and it's sunny, so who cares! I had a little tailwind on East Lake Sammamish and pushed the last 3-4 miles harder to finish strong...felt really good at the end and glad to be done at 45 miles. Then I took myself out to lunch at Whole Foods and ate outside to soak up a little more sun...

45 mile ride
2:51
Avg HR = 119
Avg pace = 15.8mph

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I HATE Inglewood Hill! UGGG...Glad you had fun in my neck of the woods. It was a beautiful day!