Friday, February 22, 2008

Marathon Movie review...

I dragged myself through a 45 minute bike trainer session late yesterday afternoon...it was very uninspired, but I got it done. Fortunately, what that workout lacked in inspiration was more than re-captured by the movie shortly thereafter.

The "Spirit of the Marathon" was great! It's a documentary of the history of the marathon as an event, and specifically about the 2005 Chicago marathon. It profiles some elites, some first-timers, and some other mere mortal marathon addicts over several months as they trained for it...and does so pretty evenly (rather than the coverage of Ironman on TV where all you see is elites and 30 seconds of "everyman"). Deena Kastor (who, in my estimation, is part hummingbird, holy smokes) is amazing and it was cool to learn more about her and how she patiently and intensely re-habbed an injury during training that year and still won the race. Impressive. They also include the film of Joan Benoit in the 84 Olympics (I've seen it many times and it makes me cry every time) and interview Katherine Switzer, another one of my heroes. There's some footage of the 1967 Boston marathon where the jerk-heads tried to tackle her to get her out of the race and her boyfriend decked them...classic!! I think I may need to get her book. I was a little bummed when the movie was over that there's no running on my training plan until Monday...after watching it, I wanted to run home and keep on going!

Regardless of the fact that I did NOT run home and had only watched others run in the film (while eating chocolate chip cookies I might add), I was as hungry this morning as if I had done it myself...I made it through swim team, but was starving by the time Julie, Duncan, and I went for coffee. I will get in some weights later and that'll be it for today...tomorrow will be a bike ride if the good weather continues or perhaps a cross country ski outing...TBD.

No comments: