Thursday, February 21, 2008

Eclipse 'n stuff

Since my way-fun Monday, it's been more of a regular slogging week with a decent amount of meetings and appointments and not a ton of training...Tuesday and Wednesday were swim team mornings and that was about it except for weights on Tuesday. Last night, I had a front row seat of the eclipse from my new favorite watering hole, the Bottle Neck Lounge, where I met up with Erin, Brenda, and Megan. We got the very front table with a view to the moon and the clear sky (beer + layman's astronomy + conversation...what's not to love about that!). Erin has started calling me "Norm," as my new favorite bar has a some "Cheers" like qualities. I'm becoming a bit of a regular there and the bartenders now know me...

This morning I got up and went for a run in my neighborhood...where I saw that very same moon that was eclipsed last night, but it was huge, much more yellow, and again beautiful (although it didn't really resemble the same planet we'd been watching 9 hours prior much at all). It looked really cool behind the cemetary by Volunteer Park. Anway, it was a good 5.5 mile run (the "long" run is back down a little this week), but living up on the hill means a lot of down-down-down to get to Boyer...and then the up-up-up to get back home through Interlaken...not much flat on this route. I don't really like all that downhill stuff, esp. in the first half of a run, but the moon was nice and most of the run was in daylight, so it was OK. And I was able to avoid the carbon footprint guilt this time since I went from home. Hip's a little stiff, but allright.

I'm planning to go home to get in a session on the bike trainer later before going to see "The Spirit of the Marathon" movie. I wanted to see it a month ago and it sold out, so I got tickets pronto for this one-time showing. I'm really looking forward to seeing it and getting some good inspiration.

5.5 mile run
51:38
Avg HR = 138
Max HR (?) = 191 (is the gadget to be trusted??)

No comments: