Monday, July 14, 2008

Interval Monday

I took a good rest day yesterday after the pummelling I took on the Vashon ride Saturday. Laid around Madison Beach with Tatyana & crew, tended to several dogs, got groceries, cleaned the Shoebox...and had several feedings including dinner at Cara & Robin's (the moms of the face-biting cat). Great sunny day and I slept great last night.
Today I was back on the training schedule with the usual favorite killer Monday routine. It was another gorgeous lake-tempting morning, but I know I need speed work in the pool so I looked longingly at Mt. Rainier from the Shoebox but went to SU. Julie and I had a good swim that ended with 8 x "Julie 50's" (hard down, easy back)...exactly what I needed. The highlight of the workout was that Emily commented that I'm looking "cut." She qualified it with "the tan helps, but you are looking cut..." As if I need more incentive to ditch the sunscreen and worship the sun, right?
I was out and about at meetings again today (think that's a conicidence?), so I did an interval run in between things along Lake Washington. The workout was a one mile warm up, a tough 6 x 4 minutes hard/2 minutes recovery, then a mile at the end and it really kicked my butt. I started out at Genessee by the dog park and ran down to Seward Park, part way into the park, and back for a total of 6.4 miles. The pace I held on the 4-minute intervals varied from 6:53 on the best one to 7:14 on the slowest one...I'll take it. It felt pretty hot, especially the last half mile on the blacktop, but I was thinking it's probably nothing compared to how hot Troika is going to be...
Swim: 3,100 yards
Interval Run:
1 mile: 9:00
6 x 4 min hard/2 min recovery
(all at 156 - 163 Avg HR, Max at 167)
1 mile: 9:08
6.4 miles total
53:09

No comments: