Thursday, July 17, 2008

Evening (!) Long Run

In the continuing spirit of "new chapter," I slept in until 7:30 a.m. today (!), my toenails became some wacky funky shade akin to candy apple red this morning while I was eating cereal (thanks, HH), and I did my long run in the evening. The color of nail polish currently on my toes has NEVER been on any part of me (I swear this crap will glow in the dark, it's that obnoxious- albeit a hit in the office with Chrystal and Nancy) and it's been several years since I did a workout at night on purpose. However...I must admit, there are some things that actually work for me about all of it.

Today's long run was a 14 miler...the one over-distance run before Troika. I drove down to Madison beach and ran out-and-back to Seward Park. Mere words cannot express how glad I am to not be doing a full Ironman this summer and to have this run be the longest of the whole freakin' summer...it was PLENTY long and there will be some advil before bed tonight (feeling like the tin man as usual). The good news, though, was that I had more in my legs than I thought I would and it was kind of fun to run in the evening with plenty of time...I had nothing planned for tonight and nowhere to be, so it was easier to relax and enjoy the sun and the scenery than it is in the morning...of course, it sucked to pass people having picnics in the parks and going past all the people at the BlueWater Bistro in Leschi sitting outdoors having drinkees (painful)...but there are some good things to be said for the evening run and I do love that time of day. Things smelled good and summery and there were a lot more people and bikes to watch than there are at 5:30 a.m. when I'm the only wacko out there. When I got back to Madison Beach, I hopped in the lake to cool down...another gorgeous evening on the lake.

As I drove home, I realized that I have been down on Lake Washington Blvd. at least once every day in a row for as many days in a row now as I can remember to swim, bike, run, lounge, or various combinations. I'm seriously coveting Tatyana's condo down there...in the summer, I really cannot imagine a better place on this planet to live than Seattle and I don't think I could ever get tired of seeing that lake.

Looonnnngggg Run:

14 miles
2:14:26
Avg HR = 140

No comments: