Thursday, July 03, 2008

Thundered out

As Bob Seger would say, "Woke last night to the sound of thunder...how far off I sat and wondered..." The thunder was slightly ahead of my alarm this morning and was the first thing I heard. The good news is that thunder and lightening is really fun since Seattle almost never gets a real storm. The bad news is that this morning was supposed to be a lake swim morning. DANGIT. By 5:35 a.m., I'd talked to Julie who decided to make a "safety first" decision and call off the swim. Shortly thereafter, I heard from Rebecca who, unfortunately, was already at the beach and bailed then, too. Everyone else, we learned later in the string of emails entitled "BOOM," had gone back to bed or to coffee...or something.

I decided that it might not be safe enough to swim in the lake during the thunder and lightening, but what the hell, I'll run under the trees in it (I know, I know)...so I grabbed some gatorade and took off for my long run from the Shoebox in the pouring rain. Today's long run was 12 miles and before mile 2 my "dryfit" shirt was soaked. It was dumping even under the tree cover of Interlakken. After the first couple of miles, though, there were just a few showers and it was a nice warm morning. I changed my mind a couple of times about where to go and ended up going down to Eastlake, along the trail to Gasworks, up Stone Way, through the trails of Ravenna Park, and back to the trail past the UW and back to Interlakken. At mile 8, I thought that 8 miles is the perfect distance for a run. At 10 miles I thought I'd really like to be done with this project. Then, of course, I had to go UPhill to get home and chose the steep hill by Karen D's house...ugh. I was definitely happy to be finished by the time I got home and walked the last few blocks as soon as I hit 12 miles on the GPS.

Fortunately, today was a pre-holiday short work day and the afternoon was free...I was pretty beat and felt like the usual tin man after the long run. I did get myself to the gym for weights since it's been a whole week since I've lifted...it kind of got scrapped earlier this week and it felt good to be back in the gym.

Other fun errands this afternoon included playing with Jenny P's dogs since HH was at work (cool dogs, much fun) followed by getting a new stupid blue tooth thing for my phone. I think I've had at least 10 cell phone calls in the last 2 days where 1 or both parties mentioned the fact that one of us was breaking the law under the new "must have a hands free device in the car" rule. I think I lost my old one in Hawaii and I figured a $40 re-stocking was worth it to avoid the $124 ticket I'm sure to get if I don't have one. The AT&T store was almost out of them...surprise, surprise. Hmmm....conspiracy by the evil cell phone providers??

The last errand of the day was checking on Luka, Cara & Robin's cat. I am cat-sitting this creature while they are at Yellowstone and, as we all know, I'm not exactly a cat person. After today, I'm pretty sure my dog loyalty is securely intact. OK, let's just start with the litter situation...no, thanks...I think that's the first deal breaker for me ever having a cat on purpose. However, I try to like individual cats and I thought I'd hang out for a while to give the cat some company and see if bonding might be possible. I was laying on the couch semi-napping with the news on TV and thought Luka and I might make friends as he hopped up on the couch and seemed to be getting social. Then the little F&^$%@! bit my face. That's right, BIT MY FACE. Wtf? Did I not open the cat food can and change your litter? Was I not making an effort? For godsake, give me a happy dog who provides affection on demand and is thankful for any attention (as was experienced 2 hours prior thanks to HH) over a snooty face-biting cat any time. Let's see who might have to open his own cat food can tomorrow, eh?

Long run:
12 miles
1:55:39
Avg HR = 138
Max HR = 158

No comments: