Monday, July 28, 2008

Last Monday double

The rest of the weekend and my "rest day," pretty much kicked my butt...I was in charge of the Seattle Century's Marymoor rest stop and was out there at 6:15 a.m. on Sunday morning. The ride (oh, whose course, btw, was changed at the last minute to omit Cougar Mountain after I climbed that bad boy the day before, thankyewverymuch) was uber-supported with lots of food and pampering and I was at the fried chicken rest stop...yup, that's right, fried chicken. At 6:30 in the morning I found myself among a small mountain of boxes of defrosting/previously frozen Tyson fried chicken and by 8:00 a.m. I was witnessing cyclists actually EATING it...OK, and confession...by 9:30, I peeled all the fried crap off a piece and tried it myself (though I'm not sure I coulda done that if I were actually on the bike). Clearly, I was still hungry from Saturday's ride. Anyway, it was a pretty full day of fun things like putting peroxide on a dude's road rash, locating tampons for a rider, delivering a tube for somebody's flat, and dispensing the chicken, PB&J, etc. I got to see some friends come through the stop and it was a fun day (bicycle guide flashbacks and nostalgia). By the time I got done, I barely had time to get home and take my bike in for its scheduled race tune up. I was seriously considering going to the Storm game last night, but when I got out of the shower and opened a beer, it was all over...hit the wall, no way was it happening. Fortunately, I got the Shoebox cleaned up a bit, had another healthy feeding, and crashed early. Oh, did I mention that even after I gave leftover chicken away to a rugby clinic and a church picnic nearby in the park, there were still 20+ boxes of it to schlep back onto the truck?! Dude, that's a lot of dead birds.

Today I was up and at 'em before my alarm and early to the pool. Had a really good swim with Julie and later got in my typical Monday double and race week interval run (5 x 2 min hard/2 min recovery). The run wasn't exactly easy, but I felt pretty good and was happy with the pace I held on the fast stuff...and it went by pretty quick, that's for sure. I noticed on the downton reader board as I was finishing my run that the temperature was 60 degrees and thought about the fact that it'll be about 30 degrees hotter than that on Sunday at Troika...yikes.

This afternoon I had a major work-related victory and landed a presenting sponsor for next year's Tour de Cure...which I celebrated by going to the grocery store and making a big 'ol dinner for HH and me who should be arriving shortly. Yea!

Swim: 3,200 yards

Run intervals:

1 mile warm up
5 x 2 min hard/ 2 min recoery (30 sec walk, 1:30 easy run on each)
(intervals all .28 - .29 mile with Avg HR = 151-161, max at 171).
.8 mile cool down

4 miles total
34:55

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go on landing a TdC sponsor - you're awesome! Have fun at Troika. You'll do great.
rs :)