Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Brisk January ride

I got in a good 42-mile ride yesterday...wish I could say that my pace was as brisk as the weather was, but that definitely was not the case. It was about 37 degrees and my face was numb almost the whole time...I kept having this vision of my head like a cube in an ice tray gradually expanding...it felt wierd. But other than my face/head, I was warm enough and had chosen the right gear--kept the lobster gloves on for the entire ride. There were a few ice patches in some shady places, but nothing too hazardous.

My legs were a bit heavy and I wouldn't have done more than 30 miles, except that I kept seeing the "45-50 miles" that was on the prescribed training schedule. I went over to Mercer Island and rode the whole island twice, once in each direction...I know, not particularly creative, but it was a nice ride and a gorgeous day. The mountains were incredibly clear and, had it been 45 degrees warmer, I'd have been in my natural habitat!

Ride summary:

42 miles
2:52
Avg HR = 126 (highest = 158! Yikes)
Avg pace = 14.6

No comments: