Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Urban nomad

This week has me moving into/living in a new apartment...and I'm a bit of an urban nomad in the transition (my frig contains one bottle of coffee mate and nothing else, yikes). Fortunately, I shower most days at the gym or the pool as I didn't quite get around to buying a shower curtain until today (however, I chose one with palm trees on it so I can think about Hawaii and now I'm very excited to actually use my shower sometime soon!).

Yesterday's prescribed bike workout turned into a hamster as my bike & trainer were at the wrong address, I don't have cable yet (TV = essential for trainer), and there weren't any spin classes at the gym at the times I could do one. I tried to ramp up the hamster workout and did 6 x 2 minute hard intervals within the 50-minute workout, so I called it good. I also drove down Capitol Hill to the gym at about 5:30 a.m. in the ice and snow, which was a fun adventure (you think the US post office will not be stopped by rain, sleet, snow, or hail? Just try to keep me from a workout and see who goes postal). I also got in weights yesterday at lunch.

Today I did the regular morning swim team workout and also tried to make up for yesterday's skipped bike workout with a noon spin class. Of course, I forgot my $%&*+! heart rate monitor and had to do the class on RPE. I checked HR the old fashioned way a few times (140-150) and felt light-headed and like I really wanted to quit after several intervals, so I'm pretty sure I didn't let the lack of gadget feedback allow me to slack off.

No comments: