Saturday, May 10, 2008

Race Plan

I haven't put too much thought into my race plan for tomorrow (until this morning)...this is partly due to the busy-factor lately and I also, I must admit, it's probably because I didn't want to freak myself out. My running has been faster and stronger in the last couple of months than it has been in years, so I'm half excited to get out there... and half feeling a bit of internal pressure to get out show some good numbers. I'm also 3 weeks out to the Hawaii Half Iron, so I want this to be a confidence-builder.

I just re-read my half marathon archives from the last couple of years (5 of them) and my race report from this race one year ago. Looking at my race times, and my last few long runs, I should PR this race tomorrow. There, I said it. I'm still really trying to figure out how to wrap my head around the idea of "racing" a half marathon as it still feels like the kind of distance one must simply "survive" more than race, so this race can be an experiment in mentally re-framing this whole idea and pushing a little more. It's also my first race in a few years that is totally solo without anyone else on the course or in support.

OK, the race plan. The course is hilly and starts with a bit of a climb in mile 1 and just after mile 3. I want to go out a little conservatively and think "confidence" on the hills, but start and maintain a pretty consistent pace...I've trained on hills and they don't scare me like they used to. The fastest miles are 8 and 9 where there is a lot of downhill where I want to relax and re-charge without putting on the brakes...who cares if I'm sore on Monday, I want the help of the descent. There's another uphill at about mile 11/12 where I want to try to push a little before the last descent to the finish. I will go through every aid station and hydrate...not planning to carry anything and I've practiced drinking a lot of different sports drinks, so whatever they serve up will be fine. The plan is to negative split which should be possible with the hills at the beginning and the descent in the last mile.

I want to average an 8:30 - 8:40 pace and finish in 1:54 or better.

Now I just have to make it through the taper day...can't I go NOW, please???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck! While you will be "solo" we'll be thinking of you! Remember your motto Keep it Loose! Go get that PR! You can do it.

Anonymous said...

I'll be cheering you on in spirit. You're strong. Do it.