Sunday, May 18, 2008

TDC wrap and brick...

Well, I seem to have survived another successful Tour de Cure...kind of hard to screw it up when there's sunshine and record breaking temperatures, but there WERE a lot of moving pieces. Those pieces actually moved in synch for the most part and about 575 cyclists seemed to have a good day out there, although a few looked like they might wilt in the 90ish degree heat. "Evening Magazine" shot some of a show out there and we'll get to see how it all looks when edited professionally on Tuesday night's show. Pretty cool.

So...after a few 13 hour workdays (including yesterday which started with waking up at 3:30 a.m.) in the heat and a lot of lifting cases of water (incorrectly, of course, and thus getting a sore back), and carting various things in and out of trucks, the coach seemed to think that my celebratory reward should be a 5-hour workout today. And, of course, if it's on my color coded schedule, I follow the marching orders, even if reading the paper and laying in the sun sounded like a much better idea. I did get a cold beer, a good dinner (thanks, Seujan) and some good sleep after yesterday's event, so the idea of getting on my bike today wasn't toooooo bad. Plus, it was sunny again and in the 70s which is my favorite weather.

I went out to Marymoor (since my car almost drives there by itself at this point) and did chunks of the Tour de Cure routes with some other stuff thrown in. Today's brick was a 70 mile ride with 2x 5 mile TTs and then a 20 minute run. I took off with a nice tailwind and headed up to Snohomish where I did the 2x 5 miles on the Lowell-Larimer Rd., a totally flat 6 mile road with a big shoulder---perfect. Well, perfect except for the wind. My second TT was about 2 minutes slower than the first, but I figured that might be good practice for Hawaii. My legs didn't have enough to get my HR as high as usual on these, but my pace was OK.

After the Lowell-Larimer Rd., I went through Snohomish where there was a huge motorcycle rally happening....the whole downtown was closed off and the place looked like Sturgis. Since my 2 wheels had much less horsepower than the others in town, I went a few blocks around the downtown and then headed down the Old Sno-Monroe Rd. to Monroe, then picked up the TDC routes again there. I happened to notice 3 TDC signs that our crew must've missed when the sign pick up happened yesterday, but couldn't do anything about it on my bike...one more wrap-up task for work this week. By the time I got to about 40ish miles, I really lost enthusiasm (wait, did I have enthusiasm in the first place?), but hung in there...there were more windy spurts and more hills in the 2nd half of the ride. By mile 60 I decided I was buying myself sushi for dinner and that there must be a massage very soon...

The combo route I made up ended up being exactly 70 miles. I got back to Marymoor, did a quick transition, and headed out on the run. It was pretty tough at first (hamstring really hurting), but I settled in OK. A few minutes in, I looked at my watch to see if it was time to turn around soon and realized I hadn't started it...crap. So I guesstimated, hit the lap at my turnaround, and just doubled the second half to get the stats.

When I got home, I started googling and calling...and in just over an hour, I will be on a massage table at Massage Envy. I wonder how much they'll charge me if I sleep on the table until Wednesday. I still haven't unwrapped the newspaper...

70 mile ride:

26 miles
5 mile TT: 14:12, avg. pace = 21 mph, avg HR = 142
1 mile recovery
5 mile TT: 16:16, avg pace = 18.4, avg HR = 143
32ish miles

Total ride:
4:24
Avg pace: 15.8
Avg HR = 122

Run:
22 minutes
2.5 miles
Avg HR = 145

No comments: