Saturday, May 24, 2008

Thanks, Pele'!

It's been way too long since I've been in Hawaii...but I fully intend to make up for it and today was a great start. We got here yesterday and after a day of travelling and eating the usual travel-fare of well, basically too much processed crap and nothing resembling a vegetable...I was feeling pretty gross internally and externally this morning. I barely made it till 9 p.m. last night and woke up promptly at 4:30 this morning (time zone)...and started the coffee for the troops. Before too long, Julie & Duncan stumbled out and we hung out with several more cups of coffee before Karen & Glenn, who'd slept till a more normal hour, also got up.

I'd dropped my bike off at the bike shop in town yesterday for re-assembly and a tune up and had to wait till this afternoon to get it, so I stayed at the condo while Julie, Duncan, and Karen took off on a ride of the race course. I had to move, though, and got in a nice 4 mile run. Then I napped at the pool and hung out at our HUGE residence (Julie & Duncan's master bathroom is bigger than the Shoebox, I swear) till they returned.

The group took me into town and dropped me at the bike shop this afternoon...they brought the bike box back to the condo for me and did a costco run for the household while I rode back. My 28 mile ride turned out to be a big 'ol gift from Pele' herself as the super island goddess breathed one of the biggest tailwinds I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing on me. I pretty much flew due north on the highway and averaged 19.5 mph with not much energy expenditure. I wasn't wearing my HR monitor, but I know it was low. This was probably the perfect ride for my first day here...I've been feeling really body tired lately and just being able to spin easy and feel fast was really fun. It almost never happens that the grass on the side of the road is bending the same direction as I am in the aerobars...LOVE THAT!!

This evening we had a nice happy hour in the palace, I mean condo, with some local resident friends of Julie & Duncan, and then went to a sunset gathering on the beach that the locals do once per month...it's kind of a combo of Hawaiian stories and cultural performance and really cool. It was a beautiful setting/ sunset and a great picnic potluck. To end a great first day on the island, we got ice cream on the way home...excellent!

No comments: