Monday, March 03, 2008

Back to beagle-less

The beagle's family has returned from their trip to Tucson and I took her home this morning before work...It was great to have her around for a few days and I miss her already. However, my current living situation/schedule works great for temporary dog care, but not so much for real dog parenting...it's on the someday list, and perhaps I'll get to host the beagle again.

Got in the Monday swim this morning and then went out at lunchtime to run hill repeats. Today's forgotten items were a shower towel (remedied by the emergency ziplock in my car for exactly these occasions, who shoulda been a boy scout, huh?) and a running hat...being hatless was a bummer because it was rainy/misty and windy.

Anyway, I ran the usual route from work...up Lakeview over the freeway to the Howe St. stairs. The task was 10 x 1 minute hill repeats...I counted one set of stairs as the first one and then turned left and did the other 9 on the street that crosses the stairs about 2/3 up (Broadway). Running 1-minute hills sounds easy, but it's actually pretty freakin' hard. The hills kicked my butt, but I hit them all consistently and didn't fall apart...felt OK afterwards (hip seems fine) ate lunch, and was completely starving again by 4:30...eventually had a big 'ol Chipotle carnitas burrito for dinner. YUM.

Hills run:

12 min warm up
1 stairs: 1:12
3:30 down to the hill

9 hills, all .12 mile and :58-:59 and avg HR = 145-147 (hit 160 on each one
1:15 recovery on every hill

14:53 moderate run back to the gym

Total:
5.6 miles
50:36
135 avg HR
163 max HR

No comments: