Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Rush hour swimming

Swimming was a bit of a contact sport this morning. I went to the Greenlake pool at 6:00 to work out with Karin G. and Tatyana at the "do-it-yourself" masters workout during lap swim. We had 5 guys in the lane with us (I guess I should say I visited the lane of the 5 guys), and I took a couple of good arm-smacks that I swear were not my fault...one really clocked me. I haven't been in a lane with 8 people in...I can't remember how long, but not long enough. Seattle U has been more of a luxury than I realized--I thought 5 women in our lane was the definition of packed! But all things considered, it actually worked pretty well today...some dude named Brett made things up and didn't make the send offs nearly as hard as he could have--I was way slower than these guys and they could have buried me, for sure. I'll probably give it another go on Friday before the SU masters spring quarter starts back up on Monday.

After swimming I met Cheryl to discuss my next chunk of training until the May 31 race...I'm planning to do the Kirkland Half Marathon on May 11 and maybe a few organized rides...and the rest of the regular build up stuff. At this point, I'm on track for Hawaii and it'll be great to get the next training calendar from her that will have the word "race" on it! Alooooohhhhaaaaa!

I had an easy bike on today's schedule, too, so I went to spin class at lunch... I did intervals yesterday, so I kept it aerobic and steady the whole time and never went over AT. I'm getting a little smarter with my morning nutrition plans...had a second breakfast mid-morning today that prevented the bonk that can happen during my lunchtime workouts.

Swim:
3,000 yards

Spin class:
47 min
Avg HR = 135 (max = 143)

No comments: