Friday, March 21, 2008

Friday impromptu tempo run

Today's assignment was a 6ish mile run...since this week's "long" run was shorter and I've been feeling a little speedier, I decided to push the pace a bit...I wanted to see how hard it would be to average a sub-9 minute mile pace for the regular loop around Lake Union (and whether I'd fall apart at the end if I started a bit faster than usual). I'm happy to report that I averaged about an 8:28 pace (according to the gadget) and I was pleasantly surprised to see that I was barely over 50 minutes at the 6 mile mark. I still have this mental standard in my head that my "usual" should still be the 8 minute mile pace it was in college (yes, I know, that was 20 years ago and during soccer season) and wouldn't it be cool to get that back and race that fast. Anyway, lofty goals aside, it was dark, cold, and a bit windy again this morning...but at least it was dry and working on pace and form took some of my thoughts away from "Isn't it supposed to be spring?" and "Damn, it's windy out here..." and it was a really good run. Whatever works, right? I'll do weights later, but that's it for today in workout-land. Glad it's Friday.

6.3 mile run
53:19
Avg HR = 146

No comments: