Sunday, April 27, 2008

Back home...

Well, the California vacation was a bit different than anticipated...Malia's partner, Sandra, had surgery on Friday (during my little side trip to San Diego). Fortunately, she got to come home yesterday and some of their friends hung out and made dinner for all of us in between Sandra's doses of vicodin and assorted other drugs...yikes. It was a bit stressful in their household, but I still had a good time and it was good to see them and also to have a change of scenery. In between everything yesterday, I took a short solo trip into San Fran. It was about 80 degrees and sunny and I was psyched. I spent a few hours walking around the Castro (saw a naked guy walking down the street at Castro & 18th) and hung out a bit in Delores Park with a zillion other people---it was like the beach without the water. It was great to lay in the park for a while and charge my solar panels.

Today I returned to Seattle...another flawless flight on Virgin Air (I'm now brand loyal, no question) and I was home before noon. Not exactly sunny and 80 here today, but it was pretty balmy in the 60s and I dropped all my stuff without unpacking and got out on the bike. It was a good thing I took off ASAP as the rain was just beginning when I got done. My training plan said 25 miles on the bike with a 10 mile TT, but I changed it a bit...I ended up doing a 42 mile ride with 2x 5 mile TT's on Lake Washington Blvd. and then bricked it with a 20 minute run. I did not feel particularly inspired on the bike, but it was OK...the run was a little tough at first, but felt fine. I don't know why, but running is more fun than biking these days. Anyway, I felt good about the workout and am quite happy to be going out for a belated birthday dinner and some beers shortly!

Brick:

42 mile ride:
5 mile TT: 14:51 Avg HR = 156
5 mile TT: 15:05, Avg HR = 157

Total ride:
2:38:55
Avg pace: 15.9
Avg HR = 133

Run:
20 minutes
2.37 miles
Avg HR = 140

No comments: