Monday, April 07, 2008

Stairs 'n hills

Off to another power Monday, though I was not quite as on fire as the last few... I'm, um, almost done sweating off a few extra beers from the weekend...

Had a good swim this morning despite the fact that Anna suggested to Julie and me in her innocent little voice, "Maybe we could do 100s on the 1:25 and push it a little today?" Julie and I looked at each other in apprehension, but figured we should buck up and not be wussy...and we held the first 5 of them. Then, fortunately, Anna went over a lane before the second set so I could come back down to a humane send off.

The midday run was to be 4-5 miles including hill repeats...10x 1 minute + 5x 30 seconds. I decided to change the 1-minute hills to stairs because that sounded more fun. Ran over to the Howe St. stairs and hammered my legs up 'n down as prescribed. I did 5 in a row (1 min up/1 min down), then ran about a quarter mile to get my legs back...then did 5 more...ran a quarter mile...then did 5 x hills up the steep street right next to the stairs. Oof. They were all hard, but a good workout and my quads didn't totally blow up...felt good, especially afterwards.

Swim:
3000 yards

Run:

1.4 mile warm up
5 x 1 minute up stairs (8 flights)/ 1 minute recover/down
.25 mile run
5x 1 minute up stairs/ 1 min. down
.25 mile run
5x 30 second hill/ 35 sec. recover
1.4 mile back

Total:
4.66 miles
54:30
Avg HR = 145bpm
Max HR = 166bpm (Hit 160+ on each set of stairs)

No comments: