Thursday, April 24, 2008

California Dreamin!

My 2nd day as a 42-year old has been great! I am in sunny California at Malia & Sandra's place in the East Bay area. I slept in this morning and woke up to blue sky and sunshine...and the only thing on my agenda for the entire day was to get in my long run...after coffee, breakfast, and a short walk with their cute dog, Dallas. Unfortunately, Sandra is having some major health issues (like in the ER yesterday type of serious) and they had to go to the doc this morning. However, they are wonderful hosts and gave me the spare vehicle, a cute VW beetle, and directions to a great running/biking trail just a few miles away. I was quite happy to put on shorts, a light short-sleeved running shirt, and not even have a thought about gloves...ah. The trail where I ran went to an area called Richmond and a marina. Within 3 minutes from the car, I could see the Golden Gate bridge and San Fran across the water in the distance...so nice. There were lots of flowers and parks along the way and the Marina was really cool. Unfortunately, the trail only went about 4 miles out and I had to make up a lot of loopy and zig-zaggy things to get in my miles...but in warm weather with nice views of NEW, dry scenery, I cannot complain.

The one thing I can complain about, however, was today's choice of beverage/fuel from the "I'm trying new fuel every week" project. I love the Hammer Perpetuem stuff on the bike, so I decided to try "HEED" in the same flavor, the orange creamsickle (now to be said with the emphasis on the SICK syllable). This is the most plastic aftertasting crap I've ever used...ew. I was really glad I'd had breakfast today before running, so I didn't need the calories as much...but I did need some hydration and the one water fountain I tried by a park wasn't on. I managed to choke down about 3/4 of my bottle, but each time I took a sip, I had to get mentally prepared for how gross it was going to be. Serious BLECH!!


Anyway, 13 miles felt long...as usual, 8 miles was about where the threshold of "fun" was passed, but it wasn't bad and I did fine...kept about a 9:15 average pace and felt good about it. Had plenty of time to walk a cool down and do some lunges...damn, I love vacation! On the way back, I found a Jamba Juice and had a great recovery protein smoothie...then got back for a long shower, lunch with Malia, and a nap on the couch. Ah. The only other potential activity for the day might be another stroll with Dallas...

13.1 mile run
2:01:13
Avg HR = 140

No comments: