Monday, April 14, 2008

Regular Monday

Here we are back at Monday again...that whole Dalai Lama compassion theme happening in Seattle these days doesn't really apply to triathlon training, at least not today. It was the usual Monday swim/run double.

Swim team was really good...just Karen W. and me in the lane and the workout was pretty no-nonsense...3,200 yards.

The run today was intervals on a pyramid of 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 minutes with a minute recovery between each. When I got to work this morning, I discovered that today's forgotten object was the GPS/HR monitor and I really didn't want to do this workout without the gadget (OK, I never want to do workouts without the stat read-out, I admit it). I had to do an errand for work anyway, so I went home and did my run/shower there...ran down the hill to Interlakken and ran back and forth in Interlakken for the intervals...then UP the hill back home. I'd have preferred a nice flat warm up/cool down, but I'm not nearly as scared or annoyed by hills as I used to be, so it was fine. I tried to work on stride length and the lean on the speed work...I was noticing my tendency to try to stride out long, especially at the beginning of an interval (visual of a triple jumper)...but I kept thinking about that "Chi Running" stuff and keeping my steps smaller (which was NO problem on that hill home, btw). I was not getting my lean on very well, but did try to shorten the strides. I wasn't quite as fast today, but maybe the varied terrain had something to do with it...yeah, that's it. Anyway, good healthy butt-kicker and off to another week.

Swim: 3,200 yards

Run:
9:30 warm up (1.1 miles)
Pyramid with 1 minute walk/run recovery:
1:00: .16 mile, Avg HR 165
2:00: .29, 158
3:00: .41, 158
4:00: .54, 162
3:00: .41, 160
2:00: .28, 157
1:00: .13, 154
12 minute moderate run 1.25 miles)

Total:
5.1 miles
44:05
Avg HR = 155
Max HR = 170

No comments: