Saturday, April 12, 2008

Summer preview!

Tough day on the bike today...weather was the best day of the year and I got to ride with Karin G...or well, I got to intermittently ride with her in between chasing her. I got a bit of a butt-kicking, but the times she let me catch up we enjoyed the sun and had some really good conversation. It was totally sunny, smelled like summer, and I think everyone in Seattle who has a bike was riding it today, with the possible exception of people who have a bike AND a boat who were floating around on Lake Washington...I doubt anyone in this city was indoors today. 72 degrees and perfect!! Can I have another????

We took off from Magnuson and Robin rode with us to Logboom...then she turned back and we continued over Juanita and Kirkland out to Marymoor on the path by 520...then we went to Lake Sammamish State Park and took a break. We decided then to return over Newport and the short side of Mercer Island and up the trail to Magnuson. Karin would've gone the hilliest route possible home, but I was already falling apart and asked for the Mercer Island route which she charitably agreed to. She weighs nothing (i.e. scampers up hills) and is a more accomplished athlete than I am, but I'd hoped to stay a little closer to her on the bike. Not to be. For whatever reasons, my legs didn't have it...my avg. pace was a little slower than usual today, but my avg. HR was higher and I was pretty whipped by the end. At about 40 miles, my legs felt a little like hamburger, which made me THINK about hamburgers...which provided a guacamole burger fantasy that was in my head for the rest of the ride. Karin peeled off for home near Magnuson and I went back to my car and bricked around Magnuson Park with a 20 minute run.

This was another good hard training week and I'm more than happy to have a rest/recovery day tomorrow...and am still shooting for that burger tonight after a much-needed shower.

58 mile ride
3:50
Avg HR = 130
Avg Pace = 15.2

20 minute run
2.3 miles
Avg HR = 153

No comments: