Thursday, April 03, 2008

Back-to-back butt kicking

Long run day this morning. I woke up a few times during the night slightly anxious about the fact that I could still feel yesterday's bike ride in my legs and had to run 11 miles when I got up. But...whatever, good to run on tired legs, right? And I'm still pretty happy that I CAN run, so off we go. I was up early and started running by about 5:30. I had some ideas, but not an exact route, so I kind of made it up along the way...ziz-zagged capitol hill, down the Howe St. stairs, a little of Eastlake and the bridge (sunrise starting, sliver of moon, very cool view there of the mountains), Portage Bay, UW, and out-and-back in the arboretum, and back up through Boyer/19th/Interlakken. It didn't seem that cold when I started, but by the time I was in the arboretum, I was fantasizing about having my hands around a warm cup of coffee...my fingers felt frozen and really hurt, despite the smartwool gloves. My ears were even cold and that almost never happens. I was not setting any speed records, for sure, and the last mile or so was ALL uphill (and took about 11+ minutes)...my legs and I know each other quite well at this point and they have informed me that they will be sore tomorrow and that they will be taking a personal day. Do not expect to be called up on until Saturday or you will get the voicemail...the arms will be handling the swim/weights tomorrow. My hamstring hurts now and my hip could use a little WD-40, but all things considered, I actually felt pretty good this morning.

I have a new project of sampling different brands and flavors of sports drinks on my long runs. Since I hate carrying the bottle, I decided it might make things more interesting to have a new drink to try each week. Today's beverage was Cytomax, pink lemonade flavor. After the first sip contrasted yuckily with the residual toothpaste in my mouth, it wasn't TOO bad. Really sweet and kind of syrupy, but I needed the calories and it certainly wasn't as bad as anything fruit punch-flavored. Not sure I'll use it again, but I did drink most of it and I'll give it a "decent" rating...

11.25 mile run
1:48:37 (Avg mile pace of 9:39)
Avg HR = 141

No comments: