Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Beer mirage on Phinney ridge

This morning I went to swim team for the first time this week...felt the shoulder, but not too much, and had a good swim with Karen W.

Then I had a crazy busy day with a zillion meetings and running around...and ended the day going to help Cheryl with her bike group workout at 6:30. Parking was a zoo at Greenlake and I barely made it, but I did get there in time to hear the marching orders and lead the group out to Phinney Ridge for hill repeats. I finished the day similarly to how I started it--12 hours after swimming together at SU, Karen W. and I were slogging up the hills together. Fun to bookmark the day with her today.

The workout was a zigzag up and down the hills on 73rd-79th between Greenwood and Fremont Ave. The hills were steep, but short...they definitely kicked our butts (HR was 150+ bpm on each one), but the hills themselves weren't the most painful part. The disagreeable situation was that at the peak of the first hill of each set, the 75th St. Ale House was right across the street....followed by the Greek restaurant....then at the top of the last hill, we rode right past the Wing Dome where people were sitting out on the deck in the evening sun drinking beer. Augh, no fair! We did 3 sets of the 3 hills, so I got to see all the beer opportunities I was missing several times. I was also thinking about my quads and the fact that my calendar says I'll be running 10 miles in the morning...

As soon as I got home, I immediately cracked an Alaskan Amber and was halfway through it before I remembered I forgot to do core. Oops. I don't really recommend doing planks and drinking beer simultaneously, but I discovered it can be done...

Swim: 3,200 yards
Bike: 10.5 miles...lots of hills!
Max HR = 157

No comments: