Friday, June 06, 2008

Ode to Schedule D

OK, so I discovered a new way to increase HR, blood pressure, and my personal freak-out scale all at once. Last night, after a really fun happy hour/bike re-assembly at Julie & Duncan's (Duncan is my bike assembly hero), I came home and opened my mailbox to a fat letter from the IRS. Yeah, THAT kind of letter. Cause this is just my week and I needed that to top it off. Apparently, they seemed to believe that I owed a boatload of money from my 2006 taxes. My HR shot up and I had 2 meltdown phone conversations (one of which involved a friend trying to tell me that "this, too, shall pass..." wait---wasn't I just saying that?) that were followed by a temper tantrum complete with tears, throwing things around the Shoebox, and yelling at several people and entities not in attendance. I guess it goes without saying that I didn't sleep much or well. So...this morning after swim team and coffee with the usual suspects, I was less hysterical and got myself right to a lawyer friend of mine who helped decode my Letter of Evil. She figured out that I'd omitted a "Schedule D" and actually might be entitled to more money BACK rather than owing the feds. She thought it could all be cleared up with the right form and recommended getting help with it just to be sure it was done correctly. By 2:15 I was at H & R Block where the nice and readily-available-for-consultation nerdy guy agreed with my friend...SHEW! He'll do the paperwork for me by next week and perhaps I will actually get a little more back. Suddenly, returning to my already-in-progress cranky mood seems almost euphoric. Happy Hour is soon to follow and is well in order.

Swam
Lifted Weights
Freaked out and calmed back down to regular homeostatic stress level

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I know the IRS well. After I did the gig in Alaska after Gates, I um didn't claim the money I made there thinking, "Oh they won't notice it" HAHAHAH Anyway - just made my last payment to them. Good luck honey!