Monday, June 23, 2008

Sorta taper week

Over the weekend, I had a lot of fun hanging out with Heather and Chase...and it was nice to have a rest day yesterday after pounding myself on Saturday. I also was tracking various racing friends out there in Tri land, all of whom kicked serious butt. Karin G. won her age group and went 4th overall at Cascade's Edge, Tatyana won her age group at an Olympic race in Florida (on her friend's rusty 1985 Cannondale), Ann S. and Hallie had great races at the Victoria Half, and Karra went just under 12 hours at Ironman Coeur d'Alene--dang! Gotta love race season and online results...and the continual inspiration of cool people out there getting it done.

This week will be a little lighter on the workouts because I'm doing the Lake Padden Tri on Saturday. Look out for a re-visit of Cranky McCrankington as we all know how much I love a taper week (shoot me now). I'll try to behave myself, but the forecast for the week is great and my mind has needed to chew on a lot again (always) lately...so I may have a hard time backing off and not sneaking in a little extra time for vitamin D and sanity. If I get my wetsuit back soon from the fix-it shop, it'll be even harder...

I didn't get to do the regular killer Monday double today, but did have an interval run first thing this morning. It was the regular taper week workout with 5 x 2 min hard/2 min recovery in the middle. I felt like touring my neighborhood and just zigged and zagged around the hill, doing most of the intervals on 17th and 16th with a leisurely warm up and cool down. It was a good workout and I was up and done early so I had plenty of time to eat breakfast and walk to work. Nice way to start the day.

Went to the gym for weights midday. The forgotten item of the day was socks this time, but didn't necessitate shopping or excessive problems, just slightly gross feet in my shoes.

I've been back on my "theme song of the day" kick again lately. I think today's selection is Lauren Hill's "Everything is Everything."

4.75 mile run with intervals:

1 mile warm up: 9:30

5 x 2 minutes hard/ 2 minutes recovery:
All were about .29 mile and HR up a little over 160

1.5 mile cool down: 14:16

Total: 4.75 miles
41:50
Avg HR = 144
Max HR = 172

No comments: