Saturday, June 07, 2008

Internal Aloha

After sleeping like crap most of this week, I finally got a good long night of sleep...and slept in until 7:30 today--whoop! This unfortunately meant that I missed riding with Karin G. who was already riding when I turned on my coffee maker, but I needed the sleep.

I spent the usual few hours looking outside and watching the weather on TV to determine whether/when to get on my (nice clean) bike. I also reviewed the photos from Hawaii to confirm that I really was racing one week ago today and to remember that I was pouring icewater through the top of my helmet as opposed to searching for my winter hat to wear under it. Eventually, I got over myself and the grief of not putting on a tank top, put on the toe warmers/booties, found the long-fingered gloves and got myself out the door about 10:00.

I have to admit that, despite the clouds and occasional drizzle, I had a very pleasant and comfortable ride on mostly dry pavement. I did the long side of Mercer Island + the south end of Lake Washington and felt good...I kept considering making it a longer ride, but decided it might be better to get off the bike wanting more this time since (1) it's still recovery week, and (2) it's very likely that there will be some tough long bricks in the next 8 weeks before Troika and I'll be wishing I had this option on a few days when it will no longer be available. Holy cow, could I actually be getting a little smarter???

43 mile ride
2:46
Avg HR = 115
Avg Pace = 15.5 mph

No comments: